Wednesday, July 23, 2008

WERE YOU THERE?


A morning mischief to remember

Click on the picture for viewing

After 57 or 58 years, Millard confesses . . . .

"Does anyone remember a morning around 1950, or so, when a bunch of us got the idea to roll one of Johnny Morrill’s old junked cars that was parked just East of the playground at the Grade School down Main Street? I can remember that about a dozen of us rolled the old car down the street just North of the High School and then on to Main Street. Once we got to Main Street, we all jumped aboard and began to coast down the hill. I can remember the great amount of noise that the rims of the wheels made on the gravel street and the unexpected speed that it developed as we rolled down. It did alarm us somewhat! I was sitting or hanging on somewhere behind the front seat and the vibration of the car caused large pieces of stuffing to become dislodged from the front seat and fly past me as we careened down the street. This all took place before school started around 8:00 a.m.

The old car finally came to a stop near Brown’s Store and we beat it back up the hill to school as fast as we could. I remember when school started it was made obvious by the teacher that who ever was involved in this little escapade was in big trouble. Of course, no one knew anything about it, except, I was questioned very closely because I had stuffing stuck to my shirt. I lied, “someone threw it at me as I walked in the front door”, but added that I didn’t know who."


This is how the old car looks at the present - photo taken at the 2008 reunion.



No comments: