Saturday, November 7, 2009

ROSEMARY (THOMAS) STEWART - CLASS OF 1952

6

Rosemary (Thomas) Heiney Stewart
was the only girl in the graduating class of 1952.


Other members of her class were . . . .
George Beller, Robert Beller, Robert Dickinson,
Merle Houser, Harold Hudnall, Tommie Hutchinson,
Darrald Newman and
Chester Webster.



6
It is always such a delight to find "old" and "new" acquaintances that are Paradise Graduates. I am enjoying being on facebook and seeing several of my former students and some of my relatives that I have not seen for some time - and some that I have not met. Every week brings new postings that Ifind so interesting and exciting.

A couple of weeks ago, I received a message from Rosalynn Heiney Wells Handley . . . . .

"I was telling my mom about some of the Elkhartians I have been re-connecting with. For some reason I remembered seeing something about Paradise and Lyons KS in one of your posts. She went to grade school in Lyons and graduated as the only girl in her Senior class in Paradise in 1952!! Would you or your husband be ...anywhere near ages to have remembered her?? Rosemary Thomas was her maiden name. She had a younger brother named Dale Albert and went by D.A. Just a curious little Kansas girl I am!"

My response . . . .

Rosalynn, we are from Emporia in Lyon County. However, I am sitting here with our Paradise Roster of all the graduates of all the years. Amazing!!!!!
Millard graduated in 1958, I taught my first 3 years in Paradise (1963-66).
We met each other while I was in Paradise and had our first home there after we were married in 65 - then we taught one ... more year - Millard still in Luray and I was in Paradise.

Your Mother will really enjoy the Paradise Blog - especially after she gets through the latest postings. If she goes all the way back to the beginning she will see so many wonderful pictures of Paradise. It will probably take her a couple of days. lol!
From Rosalynn . . .

She went to the 40th reunion in Paradise! She's still in Springfield, but doesn't drive much. I forwarded the blog info to her...I know she will love it. It has been fun finding information and life cycles from old friends :)
Thank you so much for the response


Then I had a message . . . . .
"Rosemary Heiney Stewart sent you a message on Facebook..."
Her message . . . . .

Hello Onnalee, I know you won't know me--my daughter, Rosalynn has been writing to you and it has been so interesting to learn more. I remember the name "Mr. Harrell from when my kids were in band in Elkhart, but never associated it at all. When Rosalynn mentioned that you had taught in Paradise I told her I was sure that I remember the name Harrell from Paradise, but couldn't remember any faces to put with it. When she told me when your husband graduated I could see why.
I graduated in 1952 and my maiden name was Thomas. We lived out by Fairport and I rode the bus to Paradise. I remember well how I used to tell people that I graduated from Paradise and there were really Angels there, It was always funny. It's been many years since I have been there, I went my Jr. and Senior year there and had many happy memories of there. Some of them very funny in fact.
I was married and moved to Great Bend some time after I graduated.I still am in contact with Harold Hudnall who lives in Great Bend and I always get an invitation to the reunions, but it is a long way from Springfield and I am not really physically able to go. I did get to go for my 40th class reunion, but that was the last. It was amazing how much older they all looked than I did (that's a joke). I would like to think that, but afraid it isn't true. My husband and I went for my 40th, but he passed away in 1996 so I just can't make it anymore.
I am interested in learning more about the Harrell's, but can't remember any being close to my age.
The Lord has blessed my life and my husband was a Minister. We pastored 3 churches over almost a 30 year period. We had 3 children, my oldest is Rosalynn, my middle child, Karen passed away with Cancer when she was 22. My son and family are Missionaries in Venezuela and have been there for about 17 years. Won't bend your ear any longer, but just thought this was all so interesting.
I have the Paradise blog now in my favorites that you sent and I know I will enjoy it even though I don't know most of the younger ones.
Hope to hear from you. May God bless you and your family.
Sincerely, Rosemary (Thomas)Heiney Stewart
I sent her a message and asked for her permission to put her messages on facebook . . . .

"Yes, you have my permission to put my message on the blog. Thanks!
I sent you another message asking you about if you and Millard had the furniture store and the funeral home in Elkhart, it just keeps coming to my mind that it was Harrell furniture and I thought that about the funeral home also. I remember we bought some furniture there. This is just all so interesting even though it's been so long ago."
Another message from Rosemary

I promise this will be the last time I will bother you for awhile. I just wanted to tell you that I got through the blog. I skimmed through some of it as there is a lot to read. I appreciate all the work you have put into it. My, there is a lot there. Thank you so much! There were many names that I remember and some of the people I remember. It was neat when I saw my 1952 class Graduation class picture. There were 9 of us--i think--and I was the only girl! I enjoyed seeing the Hudnall family pictures especially. Harold and I have sort of kept in contact and I also remember that my little brother, D.A. Thomas was in the second grade at Fairport with Karen Hudnall. He always said that she was his girlfriend. So it was fun to see her picture now. My brother, D.A. passed away in 2007. He was retired, but for many, many years was head librarian at the DR'S library at K.U.medical center. His wife still lives in K.C. and he only had one daughter and she and her family live in St. Louis. It is so neat to go back in time and remember some of these things from our past.

I thought of something funny that Millard will probably get a kick out of. When I was a Jr. or Senior at Paradise I had to go about 11 miles to get into town so I drove my parents car and went to our play practice--I parked in front of Basheors cafe and went with some of my friends just to ride around for a little bit after play practice. When we got back we were all just standing by my car talking and when I opened my car door the light came on and one of my classmates noticed that the town drunk (I think I know his name, but won't say) anyway he was in my backseat either asleep or passed out. Of course the boys got him out of the car, but I've oftened wondered what would have happened if I had got on the road going home and he would have raised up--He probably wouldn't have hurt me, but I probably would have killed me and him too. This is one of my funniest memories from my days in school there. Just thought I would share and you would probably think it funny too.Is so nice that you live close to your kids and Grandkids--they are so special! I enjoy so much that I am close to Rosalynn and part of her family. It means so much especially since my son and family are so far away.
Rosemary


She wrote another message . . . .

I did look on the blog today, I presume that the newest ones are at the top.
I enjoyed seeing all of the pictures of your Anniversary. I think Millard still looks like I remember him and you do too in the face. I think that you had long sort of blonde hair when I remember you in the furniture store. Of course we all look a little older, but that just means God has granted us a longer life.

I was thinking about the table and chairs set that we bought from your store--it was is 1972 or 73 and I have used it all these years--Just got rid of it and a new set last Summer. It was really a nice set and a good one evidently! The table was still in very good shape, but the chairs were getting a little unstable. It was sort of Early American style with the Maple finish. We later after we had moved from Elkhart bought a China hutch to match it which I still have. Thanks for writing. Rosemary


6
WELCOME TO THE BLOG ROSEMARY!



No comments: