Thursday, October 29, 2009

"BUTCH" NORMAN LAUGHLIN

6
I received an email from Janette Angel Ross tonight . . . .

"Hey, I called Norman (Butch) Laughlin back in 1994 when Gloria Thacker Becker & I were planning our 30th class reunion. I talked to his wife, Connie (I think was her name) and told her I was a former classmate of her husband. She quickly put Norman on the phone and we had a nice visit.

He was living in Arlington, VA, just across from DC and yes, he worked for the IRS. It sounded like he had an exciting job for sure. I think he had two grown children but I just can't remember the details of our conversation.
He wasn't going to be able to come back for the reunion, however.

I began first grade w/Butch; we knew his name was Norman, but his family had nicknamed him Butch and that's all he was really ever known by in Paradise. His parents were Howard & Lucille Laughlin and sister, Iva or we called her Tootsie (but maybe she wouldn't like that name now or even remember it).

I always remember as a child that Gene & I wanted to go into Paradise to play @ Butch & Tootsie's home.
Howard was employed @ the Paradise Depot (that building was moved to Paradise Main Street after there was no need for a depot in town and it still remains on Main).

Butch's mom, Lucille had a Beauty Shop in their home, the basement house across from Dick & Jill Kerr's as you go out of town on the west side of Paradise. The Laughlin's built that home and I spent lots of time there getting my hair cut & curled and working on my 4-H work books. Lucille was one of the parent 4-H Leaders of the Paradise Dell 4-H Club.

Our family, the Angel's and Laughlin's were very good friends. I think they left Paradise when Butch was in the 7th, maybe 8th grade. Anyway, he didn't go to Paradise HS with our little class of 12 freshmen.

I do remember that Dan Hoisington was a great friend of Butch Laughlin. I think they were into lots of mischief together back then, but purely innocent I'm sure!! Tee Hee Janette"



No comments: