Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A MEMORY OF THE WOODCARVER


This elf and it's story is on Millard's Foundwoodcarving Blog. http://foundwoodcarvings.blogspot.com/
However, Millard has a different story for it on this blog and it is . . . . .

"Being semi-retired and approaching old age, I have found that a good deal of my carving time is spent reminiscing and in my most recent carving project, put me to considering where my idea of a really gleeful smile came from.

As I was carving this elf for the telephone company that I am carving for right now, I recalled an experience I had many years ago. I had just painted my coaster wagon light blue and oiled the wheels real well. Anxious to show my work of art and try it out, my friend Jon Anderson and I climbed aboard. The paint was not fully dry, as I recall, but we started to coast down the hill toward Dean Brown's house. Between both of us in the wagon supplying extra weight and the freshly oiled wheels, we gained alarming speed very fast. An attempted turn at Dean Brown's house failed and we both were sent sprawling as the wagon upset. I remember spitting sand and gravel and looking up to see Jon's older brother, Jay, walking down the hill and grinning from ear to ear, obviously immensely pleased that he was privileged to witness such a colossal wipe out.

As I was carving the elf, I realized that although Jay didn't have red hair and didn't have a beard, I was carving his grin as he walked down that hill toward us back somewhere around 1949."

No comments: