Sunday, December 28, 2008

LET'S CHECK IN ON GENE EULERT

6

Gene Eulert (class of 1959) is presently in Egan, SD. He would like to move back to Kansas one of these days but that's all up in the air right now as he is looking for work in this area, with no success as of now.
Maybe some of us could help him out. We would love to have him in Emporia.

Gene has one son, Joshua. Joshua is married and he and his wife have a new baby - Gene's new granddaughter - Megan. They live in Edmonton Alberta.

Gene worked in Vail from May through "mad" Dec. He has worked in Vail, including one winter in a large ski shop. The Vail work fit nicely into those times between international consulting contracts. It is expensive to live there but the wages are also higher.

Gene has a wonderful hobby and does a fantastic job.
Here are a few of his projects with his descriptions.


A rolling butcher block out of
Osage Orange (Hedge)
for Rebecca Johnson in Sioux Falls
about 17 x 17 x 35















A large chest I sold out of Craftsman Creek Studio in Sioux Falls..
Made from good ole Kansas Walnut and Poplar from the lumber yard.




















The 3rd, 4th, and 5th is a mixture of parts that make first a crib,
then with different parts toddlers bed, and finally a full size bed.
I made this for my son Josh and wife for my grandchild in Edmonton Alberta.
It is made from Burr Oak my son and I cut in the log and took
to the sawmill some years ago in Kansas.


























The rolling Kitchen Island from the same Burr Oak with black granite
inlays that are .04 inches proud so hot pans will not touch the finish
on the top.
About 2' x 3' x 35"




















This is a corner cabinet out of "Monteray Pine" a California pine
widely grown in the southern hemishere, as it grows rapidly
but is a bitch to finish.
I made it for a faculty member at SDSU.





















These two pieces I made for myself out of Burr Oak with Walnut accents.
The cushion on the rocker is leather that I made.
Later I had two made up for the settle out of Naugahyde
by a shop in Dell Rapids.
















This is an example of a number of small tables I have made out of
Burr Oak or Walnut in a bunch of sizes and shapes.




















These two stands were made for a couple of cousins (Maupins)
for their wedding present.
Made of Kansas Walnut and Honey Locust.
Would have been called telephone tables in the old days!


















Lastly is a stand up desk I made for myself out of Burr Oak
and Walnut from the Paradise and Eagle Creek locations.










Oh! How Wonderful!
A piece of furniture from Paradise.
Wow!


Note: I did not edit Gene's descriptions. Gene has such a way with words that I would not want to touch. Ha!

I asked Gene to comment on the "international consulting contracts".

Gene . . . . . .
"Not much to tell. I have worked in over a dozen countries including the Middle and Far East, Canada, East and West Africa, and several Central American countries. Between professional contracts I have done lots of drywall, taping and steel stud construction work mostly in the Vail area. I have worked in the areas of Ecology and Natural Resources, Satellite Imagery and Photo interpretation, GIS (Geographical Information Systems), Internet based Clearinghouses and institution building in the just-mentioned areas of expertise. Employers have included education institutions, private companies (from the US, Canada and Australia and England), and several UN agencies. Even taught at the University level at Montana State University, North Dakota State, and in the Visiting International Scientist Program at the former Remote Sensing Institute at South Dakota State University.

I have had to get lots of shots .... sometimes I would wonder why my arms don't leak. Most of this isn't of much interest to most people I would guess. Was really just lot of work under sometimes trying and occasionally dangerous circumstances getting by as best one can."

Personally, I found this very interesting, Gene. Thanks so much for your photos and information. We will see what we can do to get you to Emporia.

No comments: