Wednesday, December 10, 2008

KAREN HUDNALL HEITSCHMIDT JAKUB

6
Karen and Keith Jakub
Photo taken Dec. 2006



Karen, her brother Harold Hudnall, and her sister Connie Hudnall Steinle.
They all graduated from Paradise High. Harold graduated in 1952 and lives in Great Bend, Kansas, and Connie graduated in 1962 and just moved to Tucson, Arizona.
Their mother is in the wheelchair and it was her 90th birthday party in 2007. She died 6 days later. Their step dad is the older gentleman.




I received this delightful e-mail from Karen. As usual, we have become acquainted with several e-mails and me asking many questions. (Snoopy me!)

Hi Onnalee,
My name is Karen Hudnall Heitschmidt Jakub and I live in Derby, Kansas (just south of Wichita). I certainly enjoy the Paradise Blog and the woodcarving website! Thanks to both you and Millard for all your work in maintaining both. I went to Paradise High School and was one year behind Millard, graduating in 1960.
The photographs & info provided by Pat Hoopes Preston on Wednesday, November 12, 2008, were great. She mentioned in the second one that "the little girl on second row first one was from Fairport" but she didn't know who that was. At first I thought it was me. I too do not know what kind of group that was.
In the first picture, I am the girl between Mary Lou Miller and Sharon Miller on the back row.
Keep up the good work. I'm not sure I have ever met you, but feel I know you from the Blog!
Karen

Karen and I had emails going back and forth - in just a few hours. We discussed how much fun it would be to get together with Paradise Friends in our area - perhaps close to Wichita, Derby, Emporia (and other nearby places), sometime after the holidays and just have a couple of hours to visit. Perhaps there would be a cozy restaurant we could go to, or if someone knew another place, we could make plans. With her and Cheryl Cronk living in Derby, Larry and Marilyn Hoopes living in Wichita and we are in Emporia - and with others living close by that will read this and let us know - we could just have a good visit. This would be neat for us the year that we don't have the Paradise reunion?
When Millard taught a woodcarving seminar in Augusta in Nov. he ate at a good place in Andover that has a Chef. He thought that was good food. I don't remember the name of that restaurant, but will do my homework on that. Perhaps someone else would have another place where visiting would be better.
I also had mentioned to her that I couldn't find her photo in the 1960 yearbook - as she was a 1960 graduate.
And . . . I mentioned that both Vada and Millard thought the little girl from Fairport that Pat had mentioned in the Nov. 12th posting was Miriam Beller.
I am still looking for someone that has a 55 and 57 yearbook. We have them from 54 to 64, but are missing 55 and 57. By looking at the 56 and 58 yearbooks, I'm sure that Pat's photos came from the 55 or 57 - probably the 57 yearbook.

Karen's response . . . .

Onnalee,
I believe that is correct about the girl in the 2nd picture being Miriam Beller. She lived near Fairport. That is definitely me in the first picture, however. The yearbooks I have are 1958 to 1965 and I'm missing 1960. You can tell Vada that I had a senior moment … You'd think I would recognize myself, huh? I'm not quite as sharp as I once was :) I worked as a legal secretary for 33 years, with 28 of those years with the same firm. I just retired June 1 of this year. I love retirement!


I started at Paradise High in September of 1956. I didn't attend school my senior year (1959-60), as Roger Heitschmidt and I got married in September of 1959. I was pregnant and, in those days, pregnant girls were not allowed to attend high school. I took the classes I needed to graduate through correspondence classes at K-State and from the principal at Paradise High. I have a diploma, but my picture wasn't in the yearbook and does not appear with the other seniors that year on the wall in the high school. There are probably a lot of people who think I didn't finish high school, but I did and am thankful for it.

I didn't know Cheryl Cronk until she stopped by my house a couple of weeks ago with Roger Pruter and his wife. Roger and Verlin were pretty close. I had talked to Verlin in Dillon's grocery store not long before he died. We visited for quite a while. His death was quite a shock to me.

I have attended every school reunion until the one this year. My husband, Keith, was diagnosed with prostate cancer the end of June and had his prostate removed July 10 of this year. We had thought he would feel well enough to attend, but that wasn't the case. I really hated missing the reunion. A great way to keep connected with school friends.

I would love to get together sometime with those who live around here. Cheryl Cronk seemed like such a delightful lady. I would like to get to know her better. Larry & Marilyn Hoopes are really nice people also. I run onto them from time to time in Wichita.

I can't wait to get to know you better. Again, I am so grateful for all your work on the blog!
Karen


I asked Karen about her children . . . . . . I also told her she was very pretty.

I have 3 children - two girls and a boy. I have a total of 9 grandchildren. My oldest daughter, Kim, age 48, lost her husband in a boating accident 11 years ago at El Dorado Lake, when her youngest (a girl) was 1 month old and her other daughter was 4-1/2 years old. She remarried to a man who lost his wife to cancer and had 5 children. So Kim has raised 7 children. My other daughter Shelly, age 46, is married and has a son and a daughter. My son Jerry, age 44, and his wife have no children.

Thank you for the compliment! You are so sweet. I've lost 25 lbs. since that photo of Keith & me, as I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in May 2007, and decided to change my diet and exercise rather than take medication. I feel a lot better.
Karen

Thanks, Onnalee, for all your interest and help.
Looking forward to talking to you and Millard in person.
Karen

No comments: