Saturday, December 6, 2008

DONNIE MARTIN MILLER

6
Donnie and Duane Miller
Photo taken in 2008
This is an update on Donnie's health.
It is Tribute to Donnie, not a Memorial.




On May 16, 2008, we received an e-mail from Roger Pruter that he had received from Irvin Miller.

From Irvin . . . . .

"Donnie has been in the hospital 15 days. I am sure she will be in the hospital a few more days. Yesterday a vacuum tube was placed in the wound. Instead of the dressing being changed three times a day and risking infection, the vacuum pump will be serviced three times a week. The pump will remove fluid, and enhance healing cells around the wound. She will be connected to the tube three or four weeks.
The surgeon said the colon tumor was almost gone and he removed all of the cancer he could see or feel. The pathology report showed chemotherapy was effective and substantially reduced the liver tumors or masses. I am convinced the Doctors have done everything right. The colon collapsed because of damage to tissue before discovery of the cancer. The subsequent treatment and shrinking of the tumor was like caving in an unstable wall against a good wall. The big concern to doctors is the lost time in chemotherapy treatment. It could be four to six weeks before the wound is healed enough to continue chemotherapy. It seems like the cancer cells are stronger and more radical than ever, after a surgery delay. Donnie is walking a little and sitting in the chair.
We all know there is a lot of suffering for most people with cancer, but only the one having the pain really knows. I asked the nurse if the pain medication she was administering was morphine and she said no it was stronger. She is now off of the real high stuff and morphine. She is getting milder pain medication and less often."

On Nov. 29th (6 months later), I sent the following e-mail to Terry Martin and Irvin Miller - to them because the email from Roger was from Irvin to Roger Pruter and Cc Terry Martin.

Irvin and Terry,
I have been going through my Inbox tonight deleting old e-mail's. Is this something I could use on the Paradise blog? If so, how is Donnie doing now and is there something between this email and now that I could add? I'm sure that there are those that would be very interested. I'm sorry that I did not pick up on this before. Onnalee


Irvin e-mailed me back on Nov. 30, 2008. He said . . . .

"Donnie is back on chemotherapy treatments. The cancer test was normal for several months. When the cancer count became elevated to 5.8 six weeks ago, her oncology doctor decided to resume the treatments. She is feeling good most of the time and works at the Russell Regional Hospital, on an as needed basis. Usually on the week-ends. Donnie also has diabetes and controlling her sugar levels have given her the most problems. It goes out of control immediately after a chemotherapy treatment and does not stabilize until 3 or 4 days have passed."

Since I didn't know who Irvin Miller was, I was still hesitant about putting anything on the blog. So, I e-mailed Terry and asked him the relationship with him and Donnie and asked him to fill me in on Irvin.
Sorry, Irvin that I was hesitant.

Terry Martin e-mailed me back on Dec. 1, 2008. He said . . . .

"Donnie is my older sister. She graduated from Paradise in 1961. She has had a go of it with cancer. It was in her colon and they have removed the cancer portion of it, and now they have spotted some on her liver. She is going through chemo therapy now and it is improving the size of the spots. Irvin Miller is her husband from Natoma. I think he and Roger used to run together in the old days."

Terry sent this to Irvin too. Irvin responded the same day . . . . sending it to Terry too.

Hi Onnalee,
I think Terry is drunk tonight!! Donnie is my wife. She graduated in 1960, not in 1961. Pruter was too fast for me to run with. He is my "Distant" cousin. I actually go by my middle name "Duane". People at Paradise would know me as Duane. Terry is right and that I am a deadbeat from Natoma. Donnie and I were married in 1960. We were blessed with the birth of our first granddaughter on November 25. We have three grandchildren, two boys and a girl. The oldest boy is three years old.
Duane Miller


Before I had time to respond, Terry sent this . . . .

I wonder who's been drinking what. Didn't I say Irvin Miller (Duane) is her husband. No wait a minute she's his wife.

Another email from Terry a little later . . .

I still think Donnie graduated in 1961. We are 4 years apart in age and I was 1965 graduate.

My response to Terry . . .

Well . . . . Terry . . . . I hate to tell you, but she has a Sr. picture in the 1960 year book. Hmmmm! What else can I say? Ha! This is called a Senior Moment!!!!!!!!

Terry’s response . . . .

I guess you are right. I'm getting that way now after passing 60. I'm lucky I remembered I had a sister. LOL

You would have thought I had done all of my homework and was ready to blog this story. However . . . . I still had another question - For Duane . . . .

Duane . . . . OK! I almost have it altogether.
2 more questions
1. So . . . Is Donnie Martin actually Donnie Martin Miller - or did she keep her maiden name?
2. Where do you and Donnie live now?

(I was still unsure, as Terry said Duane was from Natoma.)
Oh! One more thing . . . . . . . . . do you have a photo of you and Donnie that you could e-mail me? Or, a family photo - or anything???????

Duane's response . . . .

Donnie Martin is actually, Donnie Martin Miller. We now live at 100 South Main St. Russell, Kansas 67665.
We are checking out photos and plan to send you one tomorrow.



With Irvin and Terry's permission, I am publishing this the way it is. I know that many of you have been very concerned about Donnie and perhaps with their help - or even Donnie's - we can keep all of you posted on her health situation. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Donnie and her family at this trying time. May God grant you the wonderful gift of returned good health, Donnie.

God gives us so many wonderful things . . .
The joy and the promise that each new day brings,
The beauty of friendship, the comfort of prayer
And the dearest of blessings -- His own loving care. Eleanor Leah Woods

No comments: