Saturday, October 11, 2008

PARADISE - 1920

6
Devin sent this picture of Paradise
that was taken in 1920.


This picture was also in the book
"Pieced in Paradise"


I received this in an e-mail . . . . .
"Here is what I have come up with in the picture.

On the left or west side of the street;
First Building was the lumber yard.
Second building was the Miller/Harrell hardware store.The upstairs was used as a theater.
One of the smaller buildings was a shoe repair that belonged to Gus Langhofer.
On up the street was the bank and Browns grocery. The upstairs was used as a meeting room for the Masonic Lodge.
6
On the right or east side of the street;
First building was the drug store then turned restaurant.
There was a clothing store. I think there was another bank at one time.
The barn belonged to the Hocketts. I always knew it as Webster's barn."
6
We do know how they were labeled in the "Pieced in Paradise" but I will no longer be copying any pictures or information from this wonderful book of so many memories of Paradise and of our relatives and friends.
6
I did my first posting (the pictures of the quilt) from the book a few weeks ago after trying for three weeks to locate the author - Roberta Louise Burns Hofmann. I tried on many People Searches on the Internet and could always find her name and her relationship to this book, published in 2002, but could not find a way to contact her. My enthusiasm got the best of me and overpowered my best judgement - and since I did not find a Copyright date in the book - I did the wrong thing and made a posting on this blog.
(This is not the first time I have made a mistake and you better believe, I will make many more.)
6
Anyway, after I posted the quilts, I emailed a very good friend that I have made from having the Paradise blog and asked her if she by any chance had a way of contacting Roberta. My friend emailed me right back with a "round about way" of contacting her. At that time, I did contact Roberta, and she (Roberta) sent me quite a lengthy e-mail and stated, "This book is my Intellectual Property". That is the end of my story.
6
This book has so many great stories and pictures of our loved ones and they entrusted Roberta with many thoughts and memories. Roberta did such a lovely job penning these memories to make a book in which each of us will cherish forever. She does not have any more books but she does have some CD's which you can order. You can order them from Roberta at RHofm50129@aol.com
Please tell her that you read about the book and CD's on the Paradise Blog.
6
If you have a picture that is in the book and if you can send it to me by way of email with the story of your own, I would love to put it on the blog.
6
I am going to leave the rest of the businesses and buildings for you to identify. You may identify them in the 1920's - then the changes in later years. Send a comment and I will publish them on this page (not in the comments). Send the comment in the regular "Comment" procedure or to me by way of e-mail. Either way, they will come to me before being published.

No comments: