Thursday, February 23, 2012

TWO COMMENTS FOR THE JACK MARCOTTE POST

.
Just a reminder to each of you, if you have trouble posting a comment or do not want to join Google, you are always Welcome to email me your comment.  My email address is on the left hand side under the Paradise sign.  I have to approve them anyway as we get so many spam comments. 

Comment from Vada  Dwinelle Krumwiede (Class of 1958)

"I loved the piece from Jack Marcotte on his dad and trying to get the operator at Paradise from the small western town. My mom, Edith Dwinelle, filled in for a short while for Ethel Durham at the telephone office.

On another note similar to that one:

A new waitress at the time at a local restaurant in Salina told us the story of when she answered the phone at the restaurant and a guy asked to speak to Tom Dick. Thinking it was a joke, she promptly told the guy he wasn't here and neither is Harry. She hung up the phone. She soon learned the owner's last name was Dick; she knew he was Tom."

When I was in college, I worked at the PBX. 
This photo looks like it could be a picture of where I worked.
I loved that job.


Another Comment from the Class of 1971

"Ethel Durham was the operator when I was young. She would let me activate the noon whistle. The button was to the upper left of the front door, or above and to the right of the operators cord board.

Maude Robbins was the only one that I remember that got a dial phone that had a clear dial. All the rest of us had black.

I don’t remember when Paradise got dial phones. I would guess around 1960.

I had the history of the phone system and pictures in Paradise at one time.  I don't have prayer of finding them now.
.
There were substitute operators but there was also an understanding in those  days that if an operator wasn't available, that there was no service."

To the above anonymous . . . . We are anxiously waiting for you to find the history of the phone system and pictures in Paradise at one time.  That is an adult activity, I am sure.

So that I don't leave the rest of you in the dark, our daughter was getting ready to take the grandchildren to Chuck E Cheese's last week.  I was trying to play a game so that I could win them some free tokens.  This game absolutely drove me crazy.  I couldn't do it but I wouldn't give up.  I finally sent an email to "Anonymous" and he won some 10 tokens, a 20 token and a 30 token.  He then told me he didn't have any more time to do it because he had some adult things he had to do.  He needed to play cards. 
 He certainly made our grandchildren happy  for the 30 tokens. 
We figured out how to get 3 more 30 tokens, but not with that game.
63601 

No comments: