Sunday, February 19, 2012

JACK MARCOTTE - CLASS OF 1960

.
If Jack would have continued going to High School in Paradise, he would have graduated with the Class of 1960.  Jack sent me an interesting email a couple of weeks ago.  I know that several of you will enjoy reading it too.

"I went to Paradise Grade and High School through my sophomore year. We had a ranch near Paradise and raised Black Angus. My Dad also farmed and had a quarter of land near Saint Peter, Kansas,  way west of Paradise. It was quite a haul to trailer equipment there . While plowing this quarter of land he broke down and needed some parts. St Peter was also a small town (really small) where the telephone operator had a switchboard in her house just like Paradise. I believe the Paradise operator at the time was Mrs. Webster. This happened in the late 50’s.  Dad got on the phone in St. Peter and had the operator call the Paradise Operator. St. Peter Calling Paradise. Mrs. Webster thought someone was playing a joke on her and for a few minutes would not put the call through. With explanation all ended well and I have told that story many times over when explaining what it was like growing up on farms and ranches in Kansas.
Small towns are going away and that is too bad. The vastness and openness of the country and people is hard to appreciate until you are no longer there.
I am continually reminded of the line out of the “Wizard of Oz”.
.
Jack Marcotte
.
Thank You Jack for the email and the memory.  I have heard several memories from Millard about the telephone system and operators.  It would be interesting to have other memories from others. 
63435

No comments: