Monday, January 26, 2009

MY TRIBUTE TO CAROL STIELOW

6
I wish to Thank Carol Stielow for introducing me to
Paradise, Kansas USA.



I don’t remember the circumstances, or why Carol picked me, but while Carol and I were both at Bethany Nazarene College (now known as Southern Nazarene College) Carol invited me to go to Paradise to her home town and visit with her for a week end. She had told me that her Dad was on the school board and they were looking for a music teacher and she just wanted me to check it out. I’m sure Carol could tell you more - why she invited me, as I can’t remember the circumstances.

I was graduating in the spring of 1963 with a degree in Psychology/Sociology and a minor in Music - only needing Student Teaching to complete my degree in Music Education. The week end to Paradise was very eventful. The school board - Frank Stielow, Vern Hoisington and Otto Eulert were very easy to talk to and I enjoyed my interview very much, although I do remember that I was in a daze. If I remember correctly, I think they asked me to apply for the job and hired me all in that week end, but Carol may remember it differently. Actually, I think they were very desperate for a music teacher.


I say the above to say this - I Thank God for this opportunity - but I also Thank Carol for inviting me to go to her home that week end, which was a recommendation to her father and to the other school board members. I Thank Carol, as it was because of this that this Paradise Blog is even a possibility. Because of Carol, I met my husband, I had 3 delightful first years of teaching and I had the best students in the world to train me for the rest of my years of teaching. My teaching career was very successful and success for a teacher depends on his/her first years of teaching. Thank You to all of my Paradise students for training me so well.

During my first semester of teaching, the Paradise School Board allowed me to do my Student Teaching in Russell. I would go to Russell in the mornings and teach in Paradise in the afternoons. This gave me the credits I needed to receive my degree in Music Education. By the second semester, I was a full fledged music teacher - Instrumental and Vocal - Grades 1-12.

I couldn’t close without saying that the fellow music teacher that I met (which grew up in Paradise), that became my husband, was the high light of teaching in Paradise. We have had 44 wonderful years and many memories have been highlighted during our marriage.

Again, I give God the credit for leading me to Paradise, but . . . Thank You Carol Stielow for believing in me and recommending that I check out Paradise for my first job.



No comments: