Saturday, March 31, 2012

PARADISE TRIVIA


I had posted this 7/3/08.  It was pointed out to me this past week so I decided to bring it to the top to see if I could get any more comments about it. 
Don't ask me WHY some things are in black, some in blue and some in red. Some are large print and some are small print. 
The editing of my posts are not my editing.  Millard carves renegade elves and I am thinking that the elves are assisting me.  If so, they are quite frustrating. 
On the editing page everything is black.  Not so when you view it here. 


7/03/08
Can you answer these?
If you choose not to Comment, please email me.
Onnalee@foundwoodcarvings.com


Thank You for all of your comments.
Very neat memories in each of them.


As I have said before, technology puzzles me some times. In fact, it not only puzzles me, but it gets the best of me.
I have tried to get this posting all the same color. I wanted all of the answers below the Nicknames in black. I have edited it, done it again . . . and again. But why the printing is sometimes in blue and sometimes in black, I will never know. And . . . yes - I go to the color chart and have tried to make everything in black, over and over again. No rhyme nor reason, but I have given up on keeping the colors consistent.
One thing about it - if I want to look at the edit preview, it is exactly how I wish it were. That is how I set it up.
.
Can you put Names with these Nicknames?
Teeny - John Albrecht
Sleepy - Day "Loren" (Pat answered)
Bunny - Dodson "Walter" (Pat answered)
Snort - Wilcox "Norris" (Pat answered)
Hoot - Burger "Harold" (Anonymous answered - no signature)
Frosty - White "Forrest" (Pat answered)
Tub - Weller "Randall" (Pat answered)
Spud - Whitman (Pat answered) I found out at the reunion that Spud's name is "Elbert"
Ducky - Albrecht "Donald" (Pat answered)
Butch - Laughlin "Norman" (Anonymous answered)  Or -  Alex Thacker
Swede - Loreg "John, Jr"
(Pat answered)
Skeeter - Dwinelle "Marvin" (Pat answered)
Exy - Rodgers "John" (Pat answered)
Peg - Mr. Webster (Pat answered) Carl Webster (Anonymous answered)
Fritz - Joe Kvasnicka Father in law or his mothers dad (Anonymous answered)

That might be correct, but we know Fritz as Fred Whitman
Mim - Millard (Millard answered)
Millard said that some of his friends called him Mim.

Do you remember more?

Who were the Laughlin's?
Norma Hutchcraft Williams said . . . . "The Laughlins were Howard and Lucille"
What did they do?
Norma said . . . . "He was the depot agent and she had a beauty shop in her home."
Where did they live?
Norma said . . . . "They had two children, Iva, and Norman "Butch", and lived on the hill west of the old grade school in the basement house."
Millard received an e-mail from Iva Laughlin Byrd before this comment was posted saying . . . ."I have been trying to be able to post a blog, but I am not having any luck. I wanted to enter an answer to 'Who were the Laughlins and where did they live.' I'll try a few more times, then I may just have to email my comments to your wife."

I don't know Iva, but I'm sure when she saw that Norma commented before she did, she was kicking herself.
Oh! Well! Iva, you can add anything you want to. Technology can be a bummer sometimes, can't it?



Sturtevant's . . . .
Who were they?
Anonymous said... (No name) "The Sturtevants were Rev. Clyde and I don't remember her name. He was the pastor at the Church of the Nazarene and most likely lived in the parsonage, but I have know idea why he passed out."
.
Where did they live?
.
What Baccalaureate or Graduation did he pass out on?
.
Why did he pass out?

Where was the oil depot located?

Who ran the depot?

Where did all the pumps and pipe go?

There was a pipeline for rail cars to haul oil.

Where did the pipeline run from?
.
What is the last date that the steam engine went through Paradise?

Where was the stockyard located?
Pat said . . . ."The Stock yards were down by the Wholesale place -Rodgers and Hoisington."

Where did all the wood go?

Where was the drugstore located?
Pat said . . . ."The Drug Wholesale was in the Lumber Yard.
Joe Kvasnicka ran it. My Dad, Lee Hoopes worked there."

What was the name of the Drug Wholesale Company?

Where did all the wood go?

Anonymous said. . . . . "Wilson Lumber yard"

What were the walls of the ice house made of?

What year was the Paradise Main Street first paved?
Millard said . . . . "1958"

What year was the Auditorium built?
Iva said . . . . 1951 - The vo ag was built in 1952
What town did the first Paradise Band Uniforms come from?
Pat said . . . . "The band uniforms I thought came from Hoxie -
Gold and Black - none of them fit right but we were proud of them."

Millard said . . . . "No, they came from Palco. The reason? They had a PHS on the arm."
Onnalee added . . . . "Paradise got new Band Uniforms the second year I was there. They were awesome. I will post some photo's later on."
What years did Paradise go to the State Basketball Tournament?

What subject did these teachers teach?

Mr. Girkin
Pat Hoopes Preston said . . . . Band     Iva said . . . . Band and Vocal Music

Miss Eva Sire
Iva said . . . . Band and Vocal Music

Mr. Spear
Anonymous said (in the Comments below Paradise Water Tower - Landmark)
. . . . High School Math Teacher and Basketball Coach

Mrs. Richardson
Pat said . . . Bookeeping
Anonymous said . . . .
Mrs Richardson taught at Fairport Grade School
Iva said . . . . First and Second grades at Paradise Grade School

Mr. Richardson
Anonymous said . . . . Mr. Hugh Richardson was the typing and bookkeeping teacher
Iva said . . . . English, typing and Bookkeeping

Mrs. Komark
Pat said . . . . 7th & 8th grade teacher. She also coached 7th and 8th grade
Millard said that she had two boys - Lyle and Larry?  Does anyone know where they are?


Mr. Herrick
Millard said . . . 5th & 6th grade teacher.  He read a Bible verse every morning.

 
Mrs. Ringler
Pat said . . . . Home Ec 
Iva said . . . . Mrs. Esther Ringler taught Science and Home Ec

Mr. Thomas
Iva said . . . Mr. John Thomas was the instuctor of classes in the vo ag and he also taught Driver's Ed

Pat also added . . . . . . "These teachers as teachers for the 1958 kids."  
Miss Virginia . . . . . . . 1st and 2nd grades (Married to Cliff Robertson)
Miss Pericaval . . . . . . 3rd & 4th grades (Married to George Welling)
Mr. Oscar Herrick
. . . 5th & 6th grades
Mrs Lila Komarek . . . . 7th & 8th grades (Married to Fred Komarek)
Jake Anschutz . . . . . . Coach for Grade School

Dick Woodall . . . . . . . High School Coach

How do you play Pum Pum Pull-away?


What town was the biggest athletic rival when you were in high school at Paradise?
Pat said . . . . "Natoma was my biggest athletic rival - still don't like them."


.
64914

No comments: