Wednesday, July 21, 2010

HE IS A HOOT!

This was first published 7/30/2008

Have you heard the expressions, "You/He/She" is a hoot? Or, "That was a hoot!" I keep hearing it over and over and have often wondered about it - why that expression? When did that get started?

I grew up with "I don't give a hoot" - sounding nicer that "damn" - however probably meaning the same. .
I started thinking, can you use the words "Hoot" and "Larry Hoopes" in the same sentence? I really thought about that a lot after Sat. night.

After returning home from Paradise, I had a visit with my Webster Dictionary.

Yes, it said . . . . Hoot . . . .
"not care or give a hoot to show no interest or concern for something (informal)"


That is what I thought. . . . . . . . . . . .Then, I found another definition . . . . .
"somebody or something hilarious: a highly amusing person, object, or situation (slang)"

Hmmm! I think that is what I'm looking for.
Yep! That is Larry Hoopes.

He is a Hoot - For Sure!!

Let me tell you about Larry.

When the classes of 58 and 59 were having their pictures taken, I was standing there waiting for them to get in their places. Larry was standing there and I noticed his name tag. "Larry Hoopes". I innocently asked him if Pat Preston was his sister. He said "Nope! I've never heard of her!" He wasn't too convincing, then he said "I know Patty Hoopes. She is my sister." Then, I started telling him (at least I was trying to, anyway) that I have had the opportunity to become acquainted with Pat through email's because of the Paradise Blog. He didn't know who Pat was. All was dismissed when the 58 & 59 classes were in their places.
OK! That was that! However, within 30 min., I was in the other end of the room visiting with someone - so intently - and there was this firm tap on my shoulder. I figured it was probably Millard wanting me to meet someone, so I turned around and who was there? Larry Hoopes! Do you know what he had the audacity to say to me? He asked me why I pinched him and did I need something? He caught me so off guard that I felt as though I turned 100 colors and perhaps I couldn't breathe.
As though I would go around pinching men! Hmph!
Later in the evening I met his wife. What a surprise. Such a sweet little lady. I never got a picture of them together, but the above picture was taken with some other people that I had already taken pictures of, so I cropped it and here he is.
Larry Hoopes! I have two years to think about any responses I might need to have on the tip of my tongue.
But for now - Larry Hoopes . . . . . . . you are a Hoot!



No comments: